The reading section
This 52 question section must be completed in 65 minutes. You will read several passages and answer questions related to these passages. All of the answers will be located within the text of the passages, so you will not need any prior knowledge to answer the questions.
Tips for the Reading Section:
- Quickly read the questions before the passages, so you know what to focus your time on.
- Read actively. Check for understanding at the end of each paragraph by asking yourself what the paragraph was about. Write down the purpose of each paragraph.
- Take notes in the margin.
- Underline key points/facts.
- Comparing two passages- think about the relationship between the passages (how the main ideas of both are similar and/or different).
1. Words in Context
2. Little Picture
4. Vocabulary in Context
Critical Reading Samples
William Floyd High School Library ~ 240 Mastic Beach Road ~ Mastic Beach, NY 11951